Updated 14 Feb 2011
WIRKSWORTH Parish Records 1600-1900
Midland and Great Northern Railway 4-4-0T No 10 with a Midland Railway
Pullman Car stands at Wirksworth in 1906. The signal box is visible on
Sister loco No.9 has this on the
M&GN Locomotives website (with picture):
"No.9 was one of the Class B 4-4-0Ts, built as 'Fakenham' in 1879,
and rebuilt by Melton Constable in 1899.
She became 9A in 1910 and survived until 1932."
Wirksworth Railway Station 1906
A Leeds-built steam 4-4-0 tanker with Pulman car at Wirksworth station
in 1906. Built about 1879, the loco was probably scrapped about 1920.
Probably loaned to the Midland Railway by Midland and Great Northern
in 1906, the wheels still gleam after an overhaul. They were called
"well-built, excellent little engines". About 10 station staff are
standing around, the steam railways were very labour-intensive.
Locomotive History of the Midland & Great Northern Joint Railway
[The text refers to a picture of a similar loco, #40]
The passenger locomotive stock consisted of seven small 4-4-0 side-tank
engines built by Hudswell, Clarke & Co., of Leeds, between 1878 and 1881.
In spite of their small size they were well-built, excellent little engines.
They worked passenger trains between Lynn and Fakenham, sometimes running
two double trips per day between Yarmouth and North Walsham. Towards the
end of the century, when the railway was the joint property of the
Midland and Great Northern, these little engines worked branch passenger
trains at Lynn, on the Bourne and Spalding section, where Nos. 19 and 20
were generally to be seen, and the Mundesley-on-Sea branch, which for
a long time was worked by No.9. The other four engines of this class
bore Eastern and Midlands Nos. 8, 10, 40 and 41.
The pictured example (No. 40) was loaned to the Midland Railway from 1906
to 1912, and was probably sold for scrap in 1917. The photograph of No. 40
was taken at Stalham in 1904, after it had been rebuilt with an M&GN
boiler and Midland-style safety valves.
Two examples (Nos. 9 & 20) survived into the 1930s, but they were withdrawn
before the entire locomotive stock came under LNER control. No. 20 is
noted as being William Marriott's preferred locomotive for hauling
Click on photo for enlargement (on CD only)
Have any more information about this photo? Please e-mail
the author on:
Compiled, formatted, hyperlinked, encoded,
and copyright © 2011,
All Rights Reserved.