Updated 13 Nov 2007
WIRKSWORTH Parish Records 1600-1900
The Miner's Arms today.
A plaque from the old Moot Hall, Wirksworth,
built 1773, demolished 1814, salvaged and
re-used in new Moot Hall 1814. Tools shown
include trough, pick, basket and black powder.
Miner's Arms, Brassington.
The Miner's Arms is recorded in 1771, and is mentioned in 1747.
The Barmote Court met here to regulate the customs of the lead mining industry,
having 24 jurors and run by the Barmaster and a steward. Also the Manor Court and
the Oddfellows Society met here.
Thomas Slack was
licensee from 1808 until his death in 1860.
William Watson was then Innkeeper in 1861 and
Joshua Slack (Thomas Slack's grandson) in 1871,
Francis Fearn in 1881,
John Mycock in 1891 and
Alfred Charlton in 1901.
The Inn sign today is painted directly from one of the plaques on the side
of the Moot Hall in Wirksworth. This plaque was
carved for the Old Moot Hall in 1773, and in 1814 rescued and transferred
to the New Moot Hall, where it resides today.
There is a more detailed description of the Miner's Arms history on the
Click on photo for enlargement (on CD only)
Have any more information about this photo?
Please e-mail the author on:
Compiled, formatted, hyperlinked, encoded,
and copyright © 2007,
All Rights Reserved.