Updated 1 Nov 2007
WIRKSWORTH Parish Records 1600-1900
St James church at Brassington dates from the late 12th Century
and is Norman in origin. It was restored in 1881, after a very
large crack in the wall of the South Aisle disfigured the building.
A sundial is set in the wall above the south porch. The Roman numerals
arranged around the dial perimeter to denote the hour of day are clear
but have lost their original sharpness. The Reverend J.C.Cox, writing
in 1875, described it as follows. "Over the entrance to the porch
is a mural sundial, bearing the initials W.T, and the date 1751".
St James was originally a parish chapel in the parish of Bradbourne.
Brassington became a seperate parish in 1866.
The parish registers are held in Derbyshire Record Office at Matlock,
and cover the following years:
A database run by Mike Rose contains a record of
Brassington Residents from about 1500 to the present day.
It has about 10,000 names and is an ongoing project.
Baptisms.....1716 - 1906
Marriages...1716 - 1974
Burials........1716 - 1936
Click on photo for enlargement (on CD only)
Have any more information about this photo?
Please e-mail the author on:
Compiled, formatted, hyperlinked, encoded,
and copyright © 2007,
All Rights Reserved.