Taken 1961 Jul 13. Remains of the second warehouse and basin at Cromford.
Taken 1952 May 24. Canal agent's office at Cromford, with warehouse behind.
Cromford Canal, wharf buildings.
The Cromford Canal was opened in 1794, to bring raw materials to
the world's first water-powered cotton spinning mill
built by Sir Richard Arkwright and opened in
1771 at Cromford. It also carried coal, iron and lead ore and took prepared
A 33 mile canal was planned from Cromford to Whaley Bridge, but in
1831 a railway
(The Cromford and High Peak)
was opened in its place,
using cable haulage up 9 steep inclines. Goods were transferred to
and from canal boats at Cromford Wharf. Originally only one wharf was
built, but volume of trade caused a second canal arm with wharf and
warehouse to be constructed. This second arm was parallel with and
south of the first. The warehouse projected over the moored canal
boat to protect unloading goods from the weather. Recently the
warehouse (and much else) has been restored by
The Friends of Cromford Canal.
Photo taken:24 May 1952
Source:Copyright C M & J M Bentley HT2703
Click on photo for enlargement (on CD only)
Have any more information about this photo?
Please e-mail the author on: