Updated 17 Jan 2006
WIRKSWORTH Parish Records 1600-1900
Taken about 1928, a nice multiview of Wirksworth.
Click on each image to learn more.
If you are viewing this page on CD,
Click here for an enlargement.
John Street Nearly the same photo (and same car) as
"Cottage Hospital". At No 10 is the
"Tiger Inn", kept by Charles Pashley in 1901.
Cottage Hospital. Waltham House (18 St John Street), was opened
in 1928 as a cottage Hospital, taking over from
Babington House (which had been Wirksworth's
cottage hospital 1867-1927). Waltham House was formerly the home of
George Wheatcroft, manufacturer of Tape
General View. Looking North West from Gilkin Hill. Wirksworth
is surrounded on 3 sides by hills, made of limestone. The quarrying
in the 1900s nearly made the town unliveable, with dust and lorries,
but the jobs were essential.
Alport Stone. A 20 ft pillar of quarried gritstone,
and a difficult climbing challenge.
Black Rocks. A landmark of gritstone, and a fine viewpoint
between Wirksworth and Cromford.
Compiled, formatted, hyperlinked, encoded,
and copyright © 2006,
All Rights Reserved.