Updated 10 Nov 2008
WIRKSWORTH Parish Records 1600-1900
Return to Front Page
Unposted, back reads: "Further copies from Edgar Wright, Starkholmes,
29 people shown, including 1 man, 2 boys, 1 girl. 5 doors, solid wheels,
folding, sliding, full length soft top, acetylene lamps.
Unposted, taken by Edgar Wright, Speedwell Cottage, Upperwood,
Matlock Bath, utside the Pavillion, Matlock Bath. Solid tyres,
6 doors, 15 passengers, 13 lookers-on, folding roof, Air Horn,
Acetylene lamp, 2 steps up, Speed 8 mph
Herbert Briddon ran waggonettes and
charabancs from the Fish Pond to nearby beauty spots. The business
was taken over by his sons Fred and Cecil about 1900, and Herbert
and his wife Elizabeth retired to Aberystwyth where they died
(Herbert in 1921 aged 77 and Elizabeth in 1913 aged 67)
Any help with tracing details of these magnificent charabancs or the photographer Edgar Wright is most welcome. Please contact
The first motor charas were open in all weathers and ran on solid tyres: passengers could experience cold, wet and bumpy rides even in summer. However, by the middle 1920s the first pioneering vehicles were being replaced by versions offering more comfort. Charas with soft tops became available at extra cost. Were passengers limited to one gender?
Unposted, back reads: "Further copies from
Edgar Wright, Speedwell Cottage, Upperwood, Matlock Bath". 27 adult women (all wearing fashionable hats), 2 girls, 2 boys, 1 child, 1 baby and the male driver. Solid tyres, large acetylene lamp, pneumatic horn, 6 doors on a side, 6 supports for soft top (tarpaulin folded at rear), Badge reading "B & C" in cursive script on side, Folded pushchair on step (for baby I guess). Weight limits on side: *.A.W 4.8.0, *.A.W 6.8.0, U.W.4.5.0.
Unposted, back reads:
"Further copies from Edgar Wright, Starkholmes, Matlock". Location is same as in Photo X375a (top left). 30 people shown, all adult men, 1 man standing in street behind. "Y-Type" chassis Registration No. L6436, manufacturer AEC. 28 seater charabanc based on ex-War Department chassis, powered by a Tyler 4-cylinder petrol engine, introduced about 1920. Solid tyres at front and back, cursive logo "H C Ltd" on nearside front door, acetylene front lamp, folded hood at rear, 5 door handles shown, starting handle, front towing hook.
Charabanc outside Pavillion, Matlock Bath. 1930 Gilford 168SD, reg no WX3567,
was new to Fred Oade of Heckmondwike West Yorkshire, now owned by Dave Jones
of Lowestoft who sent the photo, kept at East Anglia Transport Museum at
Unposted, taken outside The Pavilion, Matlock Bath. Charabanc has
6 doors, 33 people, "speed 12 mph", hard tyres, Acetylene lamps,
air horn, open bonnet showing 6 cylinders. Unusual having mixed
passengers (14 men, 11 women, 2 girls, 3 boys, 3 infants).
Back shows 'Edgar Wright, Speedwell Cottage, Upperwood, Matlock Bath.
Compiled, formatted, hyperlinked, encoded, and copyright © 2005, All Rights Reserved.