Whatstandwell, Cromford canal
"The Cromford Canal ran 14.5 miles from Cromford to the Erewash Canal
through 4 tunnels and 14 locks. The canal obtained its Act of Parliament
in 1789 and opened in 1794. The canal despite costing about twice the
initial estimate (£42,697) was a financial success. The canal mostly
carried coal, lead and iron ore extracted from inside the Butterley Tunnel.
In 1900 the 3,063 yard Butterley Tunnel was closed due to subsidence.
Most of the canal was abandoned in 1944 with the exception of a half mile
stretch to Langley Mill which was abandoned in 1962. Some attempts are
being made to restore the canal and about 5 miles of it is in shallow water".
Photo taken:Posted in 1914
Click on photo for enlargement (on CD only)
Have any more information about this photo?
Please e-mail the author on: