Loco 381 standing outside the then Goods shed at Wirksworth.
Sam Hodgkinson (top hat) and Emma.
Engine No 381.
Train Engine at Wirksworth Station 1874
Loco (seen in high resolution) is number 381. Probably a Midland Railway
standard goods engine designed by Matthew Kirtley and built by
Robert Stephenson & Co, Newcastle in 1856. The Wirksworth line was opened
in 1867. The man in the cab in top hat is
Samuel Hodgkinson, Wirksworth
station master, the woman is his wife
158A was built in 1866 to a design by Matthew Kirtley for express
passenger workings to Kings Cross, then the London Terminus of the
158A has been rebuilt at various dates and finally ended her days at
Nottingham in 1947 as station pilot after 81 years service. She appeared
at the Stephenson Centenary Celebrations, Chesterfield in 1948 and was
preserved at Derby Locomotive Works until moving to the Midland Railway -
Butterley in 1975.
158A is part of the National Collection owned by The National Railway
Museum. Now takes pride of place in the Matthew Kirtley Exhibition Hall
at Swanwick Junction.
The Wirksworth branch served an unusual purpose
in that its terminus was
used by Derby Works as a prime spot for some of its official photographs.
When the ex-Midland Railway locos were stored in the works, prior to the
establishment of a national museum, the opportunity (in 1960) was taken
to ensure their preservation on film and they were hauled up to Wirksworth
dead in a train (complete with brake van) by the Midland Compound and
duly lined up for the official photographer. The photographs were taken
from the station platform and even at that late
date a large plate camera
was used. Shown here is Kirtley 2-4-0 No.158A.