Updated 15 Apr 2004
WIRKSWORTH Parish Records 1600-1900
The Crown Inn, Wirksworth
The Crown Inn, in Market Square, Wirksworth was an old coaching
inn first mentioned about 1758. It closed about 1910, but today
the same buildings are used as a private residence and a
Post Office (see "Buildings in Wirksworth 6").
The high wide archway (called a carriage arch, to allow access for
a stagecoach with driver on top) today leads to the
Wirksworth Heritage Centre in Crown Yard at the rear of the Inn.
The old photo below
is undated but may have been taken about 1900. The Market Place was
illuminated by a single gas lamp.
References in the Census are:
Darran THACKER is a descendant of Henry WYNN who is listed as the
innkeeper of the Crown Inn in the 1901 Census.
Compiled, formatted, hyperlinked, encoded,
and copyright © 2004,
John Palmer .
All Rights Reserved.